If I Had My Child to Raise Over Again by Diane Loomans

If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd finger-paint more, and point the fingers less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I would care to know less and know to care more.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.

I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I would be firm less often, and affirm much more.
I'd teach less about the love of power, And more about the power of love.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Parent-Adolescent Interactions

Parents need to fill a child's bucket of self-esteem so high that the rest of the world can't poke enough holes to drain it dry
- Alvin Price

Building Self-Esteem....

Why would you want to be someone else
When you could be better by being yourself
Why pretend to be someone you are not
When you have something they haven't got
Cheating yourself of the life you have to live
Deprives others of that only which you can give
You have much more to offer by being just you
Than walking around in someone else's shoes
Trying to live the life of another is a mistake
It is a masquerade; nothing more than a fake
Be yourself and let your qualities show through
Others will love you more for being just you
Remember that God loves you just as you are
To Him you are already a bright shining star
Family and friends will love you more too
If you spent time practicing just being you"
Written By Ellen Bailey






Kids Health - I really like this site as it has all kinds of different areas for which teens face... body, mind and food, to include recipes! It also isn't just tailored to the teen.  It also has an area for younger children and the parent too!  This site is fun for all and is user friendly with a lot of fun facts and information.

Empowered Teens and Parents - This is an upbeat and friendly site that is aimed toward teen girls and their parents.  Its another useful site that allows teens to go to when feeling alone or confused about life as a teenager.  It also has an area that concentrates on both the teen and her parent.

I selected this chapter as I felt I could relate to it with having two teenagers in the house.  Being a teenager can bring some very highs and lows in their lives and the more they (and you) are equipped with knowledge and places to go to help understand things, the better off everyone is.  One thing while researching the subject though, I quickly came to realize that self-esteem issues are definitely geared towards girls more than boys.  I know that girls in general can have lower self-esteem, but I also feel the need to have just as much information readily available for the teenage boy too.

I felt the two websites I included are great when dealing with self-esteem but also a lot of the issues that you come across as an adolescent.  It broke it down for just the teen but also the teen and their parent.  The poem and video to me help point out that its so important to be yourself!  I think that is one of the most valuable lessons we could help an adolescent understand.  Once they do, they would be that much stronger and capable of doing things because they wanted to and not because of what they thought others would want them to do.  And last...I really liked the picture of the 4 friends as I feel having true, strong friendships helps anyone with their self-esteem and all they can accomplish!

No comments:

Post a Comment